Saturday, August 11, 2007

Misr

So I can't post pictures now, but I have taken a lot. Someday they'll be up here.

I'm in Luxor right now, and the young guy who runs the internet cafe is playing Celine Dion. That "it's all coming back to me now" song - it's fantastic.

My group is really great. I am startled that there is not one person that I dislike!

We have been staying at far nicer hotels than I anticipated. I imagine that is because most people don't come to Egypt in August; my first hotel in Cairo had a total of four people staying there. Apparently everyone else is afraid of the heat; pansies. Down south I admit it can be a bit brutal, but Cairo was mild compared to Nicosia for the last few weeks! And it really isn't humid here, not that I've noticed.

Okay, he just started singing along with Celine!! This place rocks.

We took a two day/two night felucca (traditional sailboat) ride up from Aswan (the southernmost major city). It was one of the most relaxing and wonderful experiences of my life, until I got tired of sitting and my stomach started to hurt and I wanted a shower real real bad. But I did swim in Nile several times; I don't think it likes me very much. I'm pretty sure the Nile made me feel shitty, but I'd so still do it over again! The current was so powerful, I wanted to just float my way up to Luxor.

I danced around a bonfire with the Nubians. They don't let you sit out.

Everyone in the group has been assigned an Egyptian deity by someone who has a guide with detailed descriptions, and some of us now actually call each other by this name more often than not; especially with Thoth, aka Alan, it results in painfully hilarious conversations. He also now likes to speak in the third person; for example, about my firewood: "Allow Thoth to inspect. Thoth approves."

Ah, Hotel California is on now. I have to go eat dinner: "Beef Cubes with Cumip baked in Casserole" (sic).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

it was great to talk to you yesterday! i hope you feel better soon, and i cant wait to see the pictures! b.

Anonymous said...

What we're all waiting to hear is what goddess are you??...swimming in the Nile...I can't wait to see pictures! love mumma