Monday, August 6, 2007

Things I Miss About Cyprus


The Galicia iced tea and the Rosé from Paphos at Brew. The wonderfully nice owners of Brew. The music at Brew. Everything about Brew except for the lack of AC.

Enjoying a fine glass of Maredsous 10% outside at Plato’s accompanied by that fine Plato’s popcorn.

Hanging out in the Intercollege cafeteria, sipping a frappe, chatting with people or putting pictures up on this blog.

The chicken souvlaki and the halloumi pita at Gyromania; tzatziki, salad, and fries inside. Damn that’s good stuff. And the rice and salad at “The Green Place” which tastes exactly like the Continental’s!

Walking into my air-conditioned apartment after being outside for just about any amount of time.

Sitting in the living room, the only white American girl amid all Nepalese guys, and being strangely unbothered by not understanding what was going on in most of the conversations. Okay, sometimes I wanted to know, but really I just enjoyed listening to all the funny-sounding foreign sounds.

Watching the incredible pool player at Reckless make outstanding shots over and over. Also the tasty (raspberry?) shots the owner of Reckless would send over to us.

Taking long walks up and down the funny walkway trail thing a few blocks over from my flat, talking on the phone or listening to music.

Being driven around the city at night on the back of a scooter, the cool air in my face, headphones on…completely perfect.

Mr. Brown’s Cappuccinos, in a small can. I could drink like five a day if I didn’t restrain myself.

Texting, texting, texting. Oh God, I never knew before how much I love text messages, even though they sometimes lead to unfortunate misunderstandings.

Ummm…mushrooms (!!!). I know, it’s insane, but the way these things were made at Casa Vieja and Zebras…I can’t even describe how disconcerting it was to enjoy it. But oh how I did.

The pitchers of sangria at Casa Vieja, especially when they were free!

Moufflon Bookshop. Tons of books, crammed but orderly shelves, friendly and knowledgeable staff… Exactly what I want in a bookstore.

Greek Music.

Sitting by the fountain under Plateia Eleftherias at night with a few Carlsbergs.

The arduously long walk into town from home. It felt so unbelievably satisfying to hit the top of Ledra.

The coolest of Columbia’s incredibly varied taxi driver’s, who said that he liked how I laughed because it was “from the heart.” I’m glad somebody appreciates it!

Nepalese food, despite the occasionally intense pain of the spiciness.

All the places I never got around to visiting.

Allou, where one’s frappe comes with an unordered but very welcome glass of water and candies!

Murphy’s. Okay, maybe some mildly bad decisions were made there, but I still thought the place was great!

The weekend GLS trips. Yes, it was often terribly irritating to be with such a big group, but I’m thrilled that we got to see the places we did.

Tony’s. Despite the fact that the number of times we tried unsuccessfully to go far exceeded the number of times I actually went…I still loved the chill laid-back atmosphere and assorted nuts; just not on sickeningly humid nights.

The sub shop next to Reckless where one could get the most satisfying veggie burgers one could imagine at three in the morning.

Talking about how much we loved a certain song, then having it randomly come on a few minutes or hours later!!! And this didn’t happen just once or twice, it was seriously eery.

The fact that there are such an abundance of cafés and bars that play music I love, of all genres.

How nice to me so very many people were.

How bizarrely small of a country Cyprus is, increasing the chances for odd coincidences! One almost is led to believe in fate.

And…

You, perhaps :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a great list...I already miss it too! mumma OH! I tried to call this morning but kept getting a busy signal...I'm off to work, so I'll try again tomorrow morning!

Anonymous said...

kay - a great list indeed! i hope youre having fun in egypt. pretty please post some more! b.