Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Kom Ombo and Edfu

These are two temples between Aswan and Luxor. First we saw Kom Ombo, which is dedicated half to Sobek, crocodile god and creator of the wold, and half to the falcon god Haroeris.


Apparently there are crocodile mummies here, but I didn't know it at the time and I felt so ill I could hardly walk straight.

Below is Edfu, which was rather grand. It was built between 237 and 57 BC, for the god Horus, and it the best preserved temple remains in the country!



That's Seth! I wanted to try to get Sethy a hat like that, but as usual I was too lazy.

And here is Isis.

Here is Ptah, next to an engraving of Ptah!! His real name is Cyrus, and when we first talked about Cyprus, I was stunned by how much he knew about the island compared to most people I've met who haven't been there. He said, well with my name, you kinda have to. People always say, "oh like that island?" when he introduces himself. Then he gets to say, no, that's Cyprus, with a 'p'. Ptah is a badass god: hear is an except from a description:

"It was said (in the Shabaka Stone) that it was Ptah who called the world into being, having dreamt creation in his heart, and speaking it, his name meaning opener, in the sense of opener of the mouth. Indeed the opening of the mouth ceremony, performed by priests at funerals to release souls from their corpses, was said to have been created by Ptah. Atum was said to have been created by Ptah to rule over the creation, sitting upon the primordial mound."


Birds!!!



No comments: