Sunday, September 16, 2007

The Long Felucca Journey Into Night

We left Aswan on a felucca, bound north. We embarked in the afternoon, and spent a full two nights on the things (we had two, eight people on each), stopping every couple hours to swim or eat. It really was like a dream at first. The wind in our faces, laying on a massive cushion...


On the right is my roommate Tracey, from Carnation. She had a rather strong personality, but I found her to be a great roommate overall. On one of the last nights a few of the other girls told me they didn't think they could have roomed with her, even thought they both liked her, she's just one of those people. But I found that I liked her a lot more when it was just the two of us then when she was in a group. We had a ton of fun chatting and giggling before sleep. She's just a total 20-something trapped in an older body. I thought it was hilarious that she would flip out when people would ask if she was one of the college-aged girls' mother, and I saw her birth year on Khaled's sheet: 1966, making her plenty able to have borne a 2o year old.

The man on the left is the father of the girl second from the right who is lying down. Sometimes he would talk about things that any daughter wouldn't want to hear about, like his internet dating, and she would be like "DAD! Please stop talking about this!" And then like fifteen minutes later he would ask why he shouldn't talk about something like that. It was awesome. Sometimes it was awkward when he would ask her questions about her Mom (who was meeting her in Israel after she left Egypt, he was going home) and their travel plans. She would then respond with, "Da-ad, you already asked that three times today." It definitely reminded me of childhood.



I was hoping you would be able to see the awesome design for our cushion covers: teddy bears and soccer balls!!!

The landscape was rather picturesque: lots of sand and lots of trees. What more could one ask for?

This was the first place we swam. And probably the start of my sad sad weeks of pain. But it was totally worth it: it was so refreshing, and the current was awesome!


This is where we slept the first night. We had pulled up to the shore, but we hardly spent any time off the boats. The others gathered wood for a bonfire, I would have helped but I was texting and didn't realize that we were expected to do any sort of work. These little Nubian boys kept coming up and sitting next to me, trying to read my text messages and get me to ride their donkey. I was tempted, but I was scared the donkey might run away with me. We all had dinner together on one of the boats, then a big group of us played card games for a long time. It was awesome, except for all the retarded Canadian rules. These people, they have no idea what they're doing! But we ended up playing BS, and the rules were pretty much the same, and it was the first time in probably a decade that I'd played it, so I had a blast.




This is where we stopped for the second night. The swimming here was definitely the best, and we actually did make a bonfire. Then a bunch of Nubians came and started playing music for us and dancing. It was a great evening.



No comments: