Sunday, June 17, 2007

Kolossi

Near the port city of Limassol (Lemesos) stands this charming medieval castle built by the Hospitallers (Knights of the Order of St. John of Jerusalem) in 1454. The original castle on this site had housed Richard the Lionheart (did you know he got married in Limassol?) and the Knights Templar. The buildings were fine and all, but I personally was captivated by the draping trees and vibrant flora of the grounds.



















What castle is complete without an adjacent cafe? While the frappe here may not have been as good as at the cafeteria, the ambiance is unsurpassed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, that place is super beautiful! and looks so quiet and peaceful. LUCKY! b.

Anonymous said...

You know you really should consider a career in photography - I thought the first two photos and numbers 7,8,12.13,15,16, and 17 unusually beautiful. I love seeing and hearing about your adventures! love mom

Anonymous said...

arent moms great?!

Mari said...

My god, this place is amazing. Sorry that my happy birthday message wasn't actually on your birthday... er... anyway, how does such a place have such crazy lush foliage? I don't understand. I miss you.