Thursday, June 14, 2007

You All Know What Day It Is...

...FLAG DAY 2007!!!! Woo-ooo...

I don't know about anybody else, but I certainly made my preparations yesterday and bought a flag of the Republic of Cyprus.


The problem with this holiday here is that every day sort of feels like Flag Day, when one has a clear view of the mountains behind North Nicosia. That's okay, though, I'll still feel...patriotic?...today.

Potential highlight of this Flag Day: being the resident of the apartment who has the pleasure of waiting around between six and seven tonight to receive our new bedsheets and relinquish the old ones for cleaning (my roommates all have class). It will be sort of like getting Flag Day presents!

Update: turns out I was in fact able to spend a half hour in DC! I randomly selected a machine at the gym last night because it was in front of an open window. After a minute I look up at my little tv (each machine had one), and despite the fact that all the other screens around were playing Greek soap operas, mine just happened to be a documentary on the city of Washington! I couldn't read the Greek subtitles, but I saw great views of the White House, Capital Building, the inside of a few of the Smithsonian Museums.  It was lovely.  It's hard to be sure with these things, but I feel fairly confident that this was Yahweh's birthday present to me.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh man, that would make me grumpy too to miss out on the ceremony AND on your birthday....I love seeing your froggy there on Cyprus - do you have a scrapbook of pictures of him in various places? or you could start a frog blog for him....

now that was a brilliantly classic four post today....you must be proud :) I know that I am actually very proud to be your mother and just wishing I could bake you a cake or take you out to Chutneys for lassis and cashew masala. Let me know when the package arrives - it probably won't make it today:( And is something wrong with your phone? And does everyone else know that with skype it is only 6 cents a minute to talk to you?

Anonymous said...

happy flag day kay!!! ive been trying to call you, you should answer your phone! i love you lots! b.

Anonymous said...

is it your birthday? you never tell me. you're such a 4.

Anonymous said...

what Indian guy???

Anonymous said...

That was really funny for such a sad four, I wonder if everyone who posts on here knows what a "four" is anyway. I am sure everyone knows how great you are, you do to even if you forget sometimes. Happy birthday and f*** flags Yeah and whos the Indian guy anyway
-S (also known as your better bigger brother)