Monday, June 11, 2007

Living as a Cypriot (though not really at all)

A few things here are different, like the side of the road on which they drive. In England, it makes sense, everyone knows they drive on the wrong side. But here, it doesn't seem right at all. I'm certainly getting accustomed to it, but sometimes there is this intense moment when I am about to cross the street: my eyes are looking at and processing the cars, but my brain just ceases normal functioning and goes "huh?" This isn't aided by the fact that they drive with a raucousness I have never before witnessed. I wish I could set up a recorder to document the sounds that vehicles make while pealing out and tearing down the small residential street I live on. I wonder if "The Fast and the Furious" came out here recently. It's the most obnoxious behaviour I've ever heard.

We have a washing machine, and a drying rack on the balcony. The washing machine doesn't do the spinning thing to ring the clothes out, so they are soaked and dripping when you take them out.

People in Cyprus are not allowed to flush toilet paper down the toilet, due to old and delicate pipes. What I find funny are the signs I have seen in bathrooms (with visual aids) prohibiting the flushing of crunched-up pop cans and tea bags! Really?

There is a Cypriot guy (I can't remember his name, let's call him George) living next door. We (my roommates and I) had seen him walk by a few times the first weekend here, and maybe nodded once or twice, but never spoken. Then last Monday, we were sitting in the living room with the door to the hall/foyer area open (that's how it usually is), and a middle-aged man emerged from George's apartment and stepped into ours, introducing himself as George's father and shaking all of our hands! George appeared in the hallway and looked a bit stricken. It was such a weird little moment that it was really hard not to giggle.

I have seen several official posters at Intercollege on bulletin boards declaring Intercollege to be "a smoke-free institution." Interesting how inside the cafeteria (which is the entire ground floor of one of the main classroom buildings), the bigger side is a massive smoking section, with no divider from the non-smoking side. Ha!

Gelled mullets are super in. Sometimes they're so spectacularly awful I wonder if the guys sporting them are kidding, but then I realize that it's pretty unlikely that they would be wearing wigs.

I really like ice cream. I like just about all kinds. How could it be possible that I didn't as a child? What was wrong with me?

I seem to have somehow manufactured the impossible: I've become a morning person! From last Saturday for no less than eight mornings in a row, I got up between six and eight EVERY DAY. I can't explain such insanity, I never would have believed it possible. On Sunday I did falter a bit, rising at 9:46, but that was the city of Paphos' fault. Today it was back to 8:24. I remain hopeful; this could change my life!

And here's a quote I found on the website of my diplomacy textbook's author: "Ambassadors are like expensively trained interpreters in a room where everyone speaks English" (George Walden).

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

So did you meet George then??? What happened? mom

Anonymous said...

Dave wants to know what you do with the toilet paper then?

Anonymous said...

yeah, what in the hell do you do with the t.p.? i dont like this idea. period.

and by the way, kay - you are super awesome and super duper funny! i check your blog way too many times a day! love ya, b.

Kay said...

Put it in the little trash bin that gets emptied daily. I assure you, this is not a habit one gets accustomed to quickly. We've been warned that bad things will happen if we do not comply.

No, George just stood in the hall looking a little embarrassed that his dad was introducing himself to people that George hadn't even met himself. I saw the two of them in the bookstore the next day, and we shared an awkward "hey, how's it going."

Anonymous said...

Trust me you don't want to flush the toilet paper, I got drunk ( yes hard to believe) and flushed it one night at my friends hotel in Costa Rica, the next morning when I showed up to meet them for breakfast they looked extremely bitter, the repair guy had already been there for an hour, and the room stunk. Oh and my question about Georgy was whether his father introduced him in Greek or English, Minor detail I know but I am trying to get a real picture of this awkward scenario which is awesome.
S

Kay said...

Yikes, dude. You know what I look like; no one speaks to me in Greek. Ever. Every single person I have met in this country (except a cleaning guy at the gym, but I don't think he was Greek either) seamlessly hops back and forth between the two langauges...it's really impressive.

Anonymous said...

can you post some pictures of the gelled mullets? i am thinking of getting a mullet and would like some ideas.

also i second that tp thing. i clogged up the toilet once in guatemala and it was really awkward. how much do you tip a cleaning lady afer she cleans up a mess like that?

hope you're having fun...

Gal.

richmond misses you!